Sunday, February 26, 2012

Making paper pots for seed starts.

(click any picture for a larger view)



Here's an idea some of you might have heard of before...making your own seed pots out of paper.


Nick Wooten explained his method to me today so I gave it a try.

**Caution: When using glass be careful not to use too much force - you don't want to break the glass and cut yourself.**

For equipment all you need is a drinking glass or vase that is not tapered or fluted (see picture), some old newspaper or shopping bags, a pair of scissors, some kind of tray, and of course a little soil.


Cut the paper into strips...you can pick the width of the strips after a few trial runs... then you roll the paper strip around the glass. I noticed that if I didn't wrap it very tight it was easier to finish.



Next, fold the end of the rolled up paper into the mouth of the jar.

Then carefully remove the jar from the paper roll. This is where you discover that a looser wrap makes things easier.







Then you insert the bottom of the glass into the paper roll and mash the wadded paper down on a counter top or table, packing it pretty good. This is where you want to make sure you don't use too much force on the glass. The last thing you want is broken glass and possibly cut hands









So then you fill them with your soil and put them in your tray. See that tray I'm using? I recommend using something with a little taller sides because the paper pots can be a little wobbly before they are watered, especially if it's your first time making them. Mine is just some old tray out of an old microwave.

Notice the variety of sizes I made? Uh...that was on purpose...yeah. I think I will become more skilled with practice.

Oh yeah, I have also been saving my cardboard egg cartons.





I planted this first batch with seeds I had left over from last year...basil, cilantro and beets. The tray is now sitting in the kitchen window. I will update after I see for myself how the pots hold up.


The beauty of these otherwise ugly pots is, you are re-using paper and when it comes time to transplant all you do is tear off the bottom and plant the whole thing. Considerably less transplant shock.

Also, for people with kids (assuming you use sturdy glasses) it is a great teaching moment about re-using and about seeds and plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment